Thursday, February 28, 2008

Bringing back the kid in me...

Basically this one course is consuming me this semester...Children's Literature. Not only do I have to read many different books, but they have to be different genres for different ages and I have to write a journal entry on plot summary, literary style, illustration style, my personal response AND get peers to review them too!! As much work as it is, I have to say that I truly do love many of the books that I have read thus far. Being that I've never been much of a reader, this is a huge event for me...to actually enjoy reading!! So what if they're children's books, I'm opening my mind to be like a child's and to enjoy the ride the books take me on.

Here is what I recommend reading thus far:
  • Charlotte's Web by E.B. White- LOVED the sacrifical love & friendship between Wilbur & Charlotte!!
  • Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt- a very enchanting tale
  • Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix- a sci fi story about living in a society where you can only have 2 children, very interesting & suspenseful read.
  • Amelia & Eleanor Go For A Ride by Pam Munoz Ryan- I wish I had their spunk & courage! Very inspiring women! My new heroes!! :)
  • The Kid Who Ran for President by Dan Gutman- very charming tale of a 12 yr. old running for president of the YOU-nited States!

1 comment:

Marissa said...

Hi Eloise,
I was catching up on your blog and something stuck out to me...I love the valentine's day piece. Scott and I usually don't "celebrate" valentine's day because we love and appreciate each other every day. We also don't get each other gifts (just feeds into a materialistic industry). So I greatly appreciated your blog entry and everything your relationship stands for. Moths will destroy the "things of this earth" but it cannot destroy your special bond of love. Here's to super-special-wonderful-awesome-extraordinary husbands!