Thursday, February 14, 2008

Procastination leads to some kind of production...eventually.

As I sit here scanning through my academic planner, I immediately become overwhelmed. Education majors don't have it easy. I hate it how people say that our major is a joke or they use the stupid phrase, "those who can't do, teach." If you do believe that, then I'm sorry, but you suck. Education is a tough degree. You're constantly asked to read, read, read, create, create, create, do, do, do, plan, plan, plan...and so forth and so forth. I think you get the idea!

I just can't believe how stressed out I get over our many assignments. I have sadly become an "authority addict," where I have a hard time doing an assignment if I don't have someone telling me exactly what they want me to do. Granted, I'm not as bad as some of my fellow students. I just have a hard time starting an assignment without proper direction or guidance. I have one professor who says..."do a lesson plan" w/o giving us a rubric of what he's expecting. Then he gives them back to us the following week, only grading some and not others...for those of us who got a C, D, or F (I got my first C in a long time - not happy), he tore our lesson plan apart saying things we should've have said instead. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for constructive criticism. But why don't you practice what you preach in class about the teacher having objectives and an appropriate assessment. If you don't tell us what you're looking for, how are we doing to succeed in your class? Is that really how you want us to be as teachers? ARG!

Needless to say, I have several frustrations with UT Tyler right now. I won't even bore you with details or more frustration. Plus, I need my blood pressure to go down. :) On top of that, I'd like to sincerely apologize for my first attempt at a blog being an angry one. I promise, I'm not usually like this. If you know me, you should know that this is a very true statement. For those of you who read this entire blog...you are a true & caring friend! My heart thanks you!

More writings from a 26 yr old college student to come...stay tuned!

Eloise

No comments: