Friday, February 15, 2008

A Vote of Confidence

Yesterday I received a call from one of my professors, Dr. Packer. She had just received a letter about the Bonnie and Scott Palmer Service Scholarship and she immediately thought of me. Basically I have to explain how I have served the community and how it's affected my academic goals and personal growth.

Last semester, I did a powerpoint presentation in Dr. Packer's class about The ARC of Smith County. I talked about all of the programs they have to offer the special needs community here in Smith County and how I participated in some of the programs. Because I worked at Robert E Lee with the life skills classroom, I had the opportunity to participate with my students during after school hours on my own time because I wanted to. I never really considered it a service project because I had a ton of fun! I even invited some of my kids to my wedding and we danced the day away!! Because of my experience with those kids, I decided to go back to school to get my degree in special education.


So for my professor to think of me and take the time to call me about this scholarship was so meaningful and touching to me. She thinks I have a great chance of getting it. It's $500, which I hope to use to join the national honors society and the Council for Exceptional Children. This would be a great opportunity! My application is due this Friday, Feb. 22. So say a little prayer with me that I get it. Thanks everyone!

No comments: