Saturday, June 13, 2009

Chapel Hill M.S.'s Newest Addition

When I finished college graduating summa cum laude with 2 certifications, EC-4 Generalist & All level Special Education, I thought for sure that I would be able to find a job quickly. Let me rephrase that: I thought that if I just put my resume out there that someone would snatch me up the first day after graduation. Little did I know that it was going to take much more effort than I originally intended. Even though it felt longer than a month, I was in complete agony knowing that some people weren't hiring brand new teachers. They wanted more experienced teachers. How do I get experience if no one wants to give it to me. Overall, this was a very humbling experience.

Tyler ISD put me in their job applicant pool after the job fair, but as soon as I contacted schools w/ openings, they told me they already filled their positions.

Then I applied to Whitehouse, Chapel Hill, and eventually Troup, who later called me for an interview, but of course it was right after I accepted a job at CHMS. I thought surely I would get a job at Whitehouse because of Joel working there and my student teaching supervisor used to be the assistant superintendent for a long time. I thought I had my foot in the door already. Boy, was I mistaken. I even emailed principals at some of the Whitehouse schools with job openings, but only one responded saying they wanted more experienced teachers.

Then I heard from Chapel Hill's Kissam Intermediate School for an interview for a resource position. If they had offered me the job, I would have taken it in a heartbeat! I love the older elementary kiddos. Unfortunately, they called me 2 weeks later to tell me they went w/ someone else, probably someone with more experience. In that same week, I got a call for an interview with Chapel Hill M.S. on Monday, had the interview on Wednesday, got rejected from Kissam on Thursday, and got the call on Friday asking if I wanted to join their team. Of course I said YES!! That next Monday, I went in to meet w/ the principal again, got a tour of the school, and saw my future classroom! I don't know exactly what I'll be doing, but it'll be either math resource or being a co-teacher or both! I'm very excited to not have to wait anymore about finding a job & the ability to start planning for this coming school year!!

You can check out my school district's website here: http://www.chapelhillisd.org/

As always,
Eloise

No comments: